Revised Fence Regulations
TOWN OF POMFRET
SECTION 300-51 FENCES/WALLS (Revised 12-6-22)
A. Purpose - For the purpose of protecting properties adjacent to fences and walls from indiscriminate placement, unsightliness, related health and safety problems, etc., the following rules and standards shall apply:
B. Definition - Fences shall, for the purpose of this law, include hedges and walls and is further defined in the definitions section.
C. Regulations - Fences and walls shall be allowed by permit in any district and shall conform to the regulations which follow:
1. Exempt Fencing - Fencing used for agricultural purposes on farms (see definition) shall be exempt from all regulations except for maintenance requirements detailed below. Additionally, non-boundary fencing located more than 25 feet from any property line shall be exempt.
2. Permits - Fences shall be allowed up to 6 feet in height". Fences above 6 feet in height shall require a Special Use Permit and consideration will be given to visibility from adjacent properties, light and air movement, etc.
3. Setback from Road - Fences shall not be located within legal highway rights-of-way.
4. Proximity to Neighboring Properties - All fences, walls, and/or hedges shall be located no closer than 2 feet from adjacent property lines. This rule can be waived if agreed to in writing by adjacent property owners.
5. Fire Hazard - Any fence considered to be flammable shall be prohibited. Also, any fence in a potentially hazardous location shall be not allowed.
6. Finished Sides - The finished sides of all fences must face adjacent properties. This rule can be waived if agreed to in writing by adjacent property owners.
7. Materials - Only durable materials generally used and accepted by the industry shall be used for fences.
8. Maintenance - All fences shall be maintained structurally and visually.
9. Lakeshore Fence - See supplemental Section 300-47 on Lakeshore Regulations.
10. Corner setbacks - Fences, walls, and/or hedges shall not be located so as to cut off or reduce visibility at intersections. See Section on Visibility in Article V.
D. Pre-existing Fences - Fences in existence at the time of the enactment of this Law shall only be subject to regulation number 1 - Exempt Fencing and regulation number 8 - Maintenance; as listed above.
If you are in question whether to obtain a building permit, please contact the Code Enforcement Officer. The Building Permit application is at the bottom of this page
- New Single Family, Two Family & Multiple Dwellings
- New Residential Garages
- Residential, Commercial, Agricultural and Misc. Storage Buildings (Includes Pole Buildings)
- Additions, Renovations & Alterations to Residential, Commercial, - Agricultural and Misc. Buildings
- Conversions of any type
- Residential, Business & Commercial Signage
- Swimming Pools; Above Ground, In-Ground and Inflatable types.
- Commercial Buildings
- Solid Fuel Burning Appliances; Wood, Coal, Pellet, Corn, etc.
- Wind Energy Conversion Towers
- Tele-Communication Towers: New Construction and Alterations to existing Towers
Architects & Engineers
Keri Belovarac Edmund M Schober
Bemus Point, NY 14712 500 E. Sixth St.
716-567-4070 Jamestown, NY 14701
716-483-3153 x 216
J&L Engineering CV3 Architectural PC
3 Andrew Court 7389 East Quaker St.
Fredonia, NY 14063 Orchard Park, NY 14127
JDS Associates/James Sprantz RA John Haas
9 Ryan St. 2243 Wilcox Road
Lancaster, NY 14086 North Collins, NY 14111
Ronald Kessler RA Gary Schauman-Tech
122 Lakeview Ave. 185 Maple St.
Fredonia, NY 14063 Cassadaga, NY 14718
Harrington Architecture Rock Hill Engineering
205 Can Buren 6948 Kings Corners
Jamestown, NY 14701 Panama, NY 14767
Inscale PC Architects Chris Cooke Architecture
1723 Liberty St. 25 South Main St.
Warren, PA 16365 Cassadaga, NY 14718
2021-2022 Licensed Electricians
BECC Electric 716-363-7602
Tilburg Electric 716-679-4900
Vidal Electric 716-761-6792
Pachol Electric 716-679-3577
Michael Pagano 716-570-6335
Muck Electric, LLC 716-254-8369
Moonlight Electric 716-664-4477
HEATING & PLUMBING:
Casale Plumbing & Heating 716-366-1700
Diefenbach Plumbing 716-934-3033
Fredonia Heating & Plumbing 716-679-1652
Gugino Plumbing & Heating 716-679-0080
King’s Plumbing & Heating 716-665-3102
Chautauqua Mechanical 716-708-4756
Jamestown Heating & AC 716-488-8275